Read the latest 2022 Qatar World Cup news here.

David Moyes calls off move for attacker Emmanuel Dennis after 'background checks' and clears the path for Nottingham Forest

Featured

David Moyes calls off move for attacker Emmanuel Dennis after 'background checks' and clears the path for Nottingham Forest

David Moyes has called off a move for attacker Emmanuel Dennis after ‘background checks’ and it clears the path for Nottingham Forest.

West Ham have been heavily linked with Watford star Dennis all summer long.

The Nigerian scored 10 goals – including a superb individual goal against West Ham – and laid on six assists in 33 games for relegated Watford last season.

Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images

West Ham insiders Claret and Hugh claimed Moyes was genuinely interested in Dennis earlier this summer.

The Athletic even claimed West Ham had ‘intimated that they are prepared to pay £18m plus £2m in add-ons’ for the five-cap Nigeria international.

Dennis was coy when asked about interest from the likes of West Ham following Watford’s opening game of the season recently.

Photo by GLYN KIRK/AFP via Getty Images

West Ham and Nottingham Forest have found themselves in some transfer tussles already this summer, most notably involving Jesse Lingard.

Forest won the day in that particular race.

And it seems the newly-promoted side could have a free run to sign Dennis too.

Because Moyes has allegedly called off a move for attacker Dennis after ‘background checks’ and that clears the path for Nottingham Forest to sign him instead.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

David Moyes calls off move for attacker Emmanuel Dennis after ‘background checks’ and clears the path for Nottingham Forest

According to The Sun, Claret and Hugh and talkSPORT’s Alex Crook in a report carried by Owngoalnigeria, West Ham were keen on the player but that is now no longer the case following the manager’s notoriously thorough background checks.

Moyes has withdrawn his interest but, having signed Maxwel Cornet and Gianluca Scamacca, that could be as much to do with having transfer priorities elsewhere – such as in defence and central midfield – as anything else.

Now The Athletic claim Nottingham Forest will be the team to benefit with a £20m deal reportedly agreed between the clubs.

Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

Thankfully any Forest deal will not be completed in time for today’s deadline so there is no danger of Dennis coming back to haunt West Ham when the two sides face off on Sunday.

Moyes withdrawing his interest following alleged background checks comes after Hammers News’ man in the know at the Hornets, Anthony Simmonds, sounded a word of warning about signing Dennis and teammate Ismaila Sarr earlier this summer.

It is further proof, if it were needed, that Moyes is very much his own man when it comes to transfers having pulled the plug on a move for Amadou Onana recently too.

MORE WEST HAM NEWS

Moyes says failed moves for Liverpool stars show reality West Ham face.

Rangnick told striker West Ham had reportedly signed to reject Man United.

Claim Martinez just made about Onana will leave West Ham feeling sick.