West Ham United could be helped in their pursuit of David Moyes target Antonee Robinson by the situation at Wigan Athletic.
Read: Chelsea-supporting presenter tears into ‘disgraceful’ West Ham, hopes they get relegated
West Ham are interested in signing young American left-back Robinson according to a host of sources.
The Sun on Sunday reporter Alan Nixon revealed last month that West Ham boss Moyes is ‘heading the queue’ for Robinson’s signature.
West Ham insiders Claret & Hugh also carried a report on West Ham’s interest in the star who famously saw a dream move to AC Milan fall through at the 11th hour in the January transfer window over a problem with his medical.
West Ham heavily linked with Wigan star
The original report claims West Ham have been monitoring Robinson with a view to a summer move.
Wigan became the first English club to go into administration since the global health crisis this week (BBC Sport).
Not only are the Latics facing a 12 point deduction which could relegate them to League One, they will also be forced to sell their best players in the next window to raise funds.
And Robinson is undoubtedly one of those. The 22-year-old was born in Milton Keynes but has played seven times for the USA’s national team.
He was released by Everton last year and joined Wigan where he had enjoyed a successful spell on loan.
Administration could help Hammers land US international for knockdown fee
And he has really impressed in the Championship.
Moyes wants to build a new look West Ham side around young, hungry players with the Championship set to be a key focus for his transfer plans (whufc.com, beIN Sports and Sky Sports).
Wigan’s administration could be a big advantage for West Ham, who may now be able to land the player for a knockdown fee.
And that will be music to the ears of West Ham owners David Sullivan and David Gold with West Ham also affected financially by the pandemic.
Of course some West Ham fans may not be too sympathetic to Wigan’s demise.
Some Hammers may not be sympathetic to Wigan’s demise
Former owner Dave Whelan went on the warpath to try and get West Ham relegated over the Carlos Tevez affair.
Back in 2007 Whelan rallied other clubs to join forces against West Ham as reported by The Guardian at the time.
“This is a very serious offence West Ham committed,” said Whelan.
“They broke the law, told blatant lies and should have got a 10-point penalty. “If we can sue West Ham or the Premier League, I am sure that will happen.
“Justice would be West Ham being one of the two clubs that still has to go down, but justice has so far not been served in this case.”