West Ham United owners David Sullivan and David Gold have upset fans yet again.
Supporters had been protesting against the duo and their vice-chairman Karren Brady this season.
The global health crisis put paid to further planned marches against the ownership. But the sentiment remains among a large section of supporters.
So when a Hammers website with direct links to the owners reported David Moyes has no money for transfers this summer, it did not go down well.
‘Senior West Ham source’ claims cupboard is bare for Moyes
Claret & Hugh made the claim quoting a senior source at West Ham – believed to be the owners themselves.
“Sources close to the club have confirmed that there are no funds available due to the Hammers’s huge loss of income from season tickets, corporate hospitality and match income,” Claret & Hugh claims.
“Limited stadium capacities will also have a dramatic financial impact on next season even if some supporters return. Losses for this season are expected to be huge as a combination of the spending under the previous manager and director of football combined with the impact of the global pandemic.”
The report claims Moyes will have to raise money through sales.
But who will want West Ham’s cast offs – most of whom are on big wages and long contracts – given other clubs will have been affected financially too?
Who will suddenly want high-earning West Ham flops?
It is not as if Europe’s cash-rich elite are suddenly going to be knocking the door down for the likes of Arthur Masuaku, Albian Ajeti, Felipe Anderson, Andriy Yarmolenko or Manuel Lanzini.
Yarmolenko for example is West Ham’s highest earner on £115,000 per week (Spotrac). A club would have to not only pay a transfer fee but also take on his £5.5million per year salary.
Indeed one of the few players West Ham could sell for significant money is Declan Rice. And he is the last player fans want to see leave.
Many West Ham fans are furious at the ‘zero transfer budget’ claims. Some suggest it is the start of propaganda from the club’s hierarchy to use as an excuse for selling Rice.
And they have questioned how Moyes is expected to turn the ship around without financial backing.
As a result many predict surviving relegation this season is just delaying the inevitable in what promises to be the most fiercely competitive Premier League for years with the return of Leeds and West Brom next term.
‘We will never progress under these owners’
One supporter, Dan Lawless of West Ham Fan TV, hit out on Twitter.
“So much for Moyes being backed this summer,” he said.
“As I’ve said before we will never progress under these owners. Next season could be the time we go down.”
So much for Moyes being backed this summer. As I’ve said before we will never progress under these owners. Next season could be the time we go down https://t.co/qXpYgVRoOQ
— Dan Lawless ⚒ (@TheLawless) July 21, 2020
And many of Lawless’s fellow supporters were in agreement.
Here are a selection of comments from Hammers fans reacting to Claret & Hugh’s claims.
Always thought this was likely. I was suprised they splashed the cash to get Bowen in January. Hopefully we can offload a few players to enable us to bring a couple in. A new left back is essential. But I fear we are in for more of the same next Season.
— Fortunes Always Hiding ⚒🏳️🌈 ⚽️ (@IanDeakin16) July 21, 2020
Dot on the cards they were going to use the pandemic as an excuse.
— Not The West Ham Way (@TheWestHamWay1) July 21, 2020
I think that simply translates to….we will be selling players to generate a transfer kitty. Just a little softener before the fire-sale starts 🤔
— Russell Kirby (@rustyk1971) July 21, 2020
Got to say. Have some sympathy for Moyes. Not my first choice. But has saved us twice picking up on the mess of previous managers. Specially high spending Pellegrini. Think we should all get behind Moyes and see if he can manage to bring in a couple of English youngsters.
— Rob Robinson (@billrobinsonwhu) July 22, 2020
‘This is why they wanted ‘yes man’ Moyes’
That’s why they went for him – a yes man who won’t rock the boat if he has to work with little or no money
— Dave Franklin (@david_franklin8) July 21, 2020
— Greg ⚒ (@d0nkeydr0p) July 21, 2020
They’ll persist with this lie while all the other teams in the league (Everton bidding £25m for Hojberg) continue to spend & strengthen.
There are only so many times we can rely on 3 teams being worse than us before we come a cropper & can see that being next season.#GSBOUT
— David Clerihew (@DavidClerihew) July 21, 2020
I must say that I am shocked 🤣😂
They couldn’t even wait until the end of the season before they “leaked” this to their preferred fan medium.
If they gave a shit about the club, they would sell. They would still get a great ROI on their investment.
— Kyle Edens (@edenskyle1) July 21, 2020
Any failure next season will be completely on the board if they don’t back Moyes
— Dan Lawless ⚒ (@TheLawless) July 22, 2020