David Moyes defender target Duje Caleta-Car is absent from Marseille’s squad as he is once again linked with a move to West Ham United.
West Ham have been heavily linked with Caleta-Car since making a bid last year.
Moyes needs a new defender after the departure of Fabian Balbuena and with Angelo Ogbonna turning 34 at the end of the season.
Caleta-Car talk revs up again
A move for Nikola Milenkovic failed to materialise and the Serbian has since signed a new deal at Fiorentina.
Two weeks ago L’Equipe reported that West Ham had submitted a bid of €14m (£12m) plus another €3m (£2.5m) for Croatia centre back Caleta-Car.
It has gone quiet on that front since, though. That was until last night when Caleta-Car’s absence from the Marseille squad for L’OM’s trip to Nice sparked fresh talk of a move to West Ham.
Caleta-Car absent for “family reasons” as speculation of fresh West Ham bid emerges
The likes of Get French Football News and L’Equipe announced the 24-year-old was not part of the squad travelling to Nice for tonight’s match.
And reports stated he was absent for ‘family reasons’.
But several sources have now claimed the real reason is that Marseille are mulling over a fresh bid from West Ham for the defender.
According to a prominent Marseille account the Hammers have offered around £15m plus add-ons. A similar claim was also made by several other accounts including a London-based journalist who says he is working closely with Sky.
Southampton set to rival West Ham interest after selling Vestergaard
It remains to be seen whether there are any truth to the claims of a new West Ham bid.
West Ham’s Premier League rivals Southampton are said to be rivalling Moyes in any move for Caleta-Car having sold Jannik Vestergaard to Monday’s opponents Leicester.