Spurs star Son Heung-min has spoken out on his Covid concerns ahead of the big West Ham cup clash in midweek.
Positive Covid tests have seen the football schedule in the Premier League and beyond obliterated this week.
Just one of Saturday’s games – Leeds vs Arsenal – went ahead with West Ham’s home match against Norwich being one of the first to be postponed.
That was due to issues at the Norwich end.
Tottenham have already had four games called off so far, one due to snow and the other three because of Covid.
As a result all West Ham eyes are on whether the big Carabao Cup quarter-final against Spurs will be played on Wednesday night.
Moyes said last week that the West Ham camp had been unaffected by covid cases but acknowledged how quickly that could change.
Many fans have pointed out how unfair the postponements could be in the race for the top four.
If Tottenham win their games in hand they will be in the top four.
Realistically by the time Antonio Conte’s side get to play those fixtures he may have January window reinforcements as well as the extra time on the training ground to get his ideas across.
West Ham fans are worried about the cup game at Spurs given their bitter rivals have had a rest while the Hammers have been playing every three days.
The hope for West Ham is that Spurs are a touch rusty rather than refreshed. But that’s highly unlikely with a taskmaster like Conte in charge.
More and more information has been emerging in the media about a lack of Premier League players being vaccinated. And those refusing to get jabbed are now being blamed for the spread in some quarters (The Times).
David Moyes has contradicted himself over the Covid vaccination issue over the last week. But the Scot has insisted the Hammers are pushing their stars to get jabbed, revealing some have not had their first injections.
Spurs star Son Heung-min speaks out on Covid concern ahead of big West Ham clash
Speaking in The Telegraph ahead of the midweek meeting with West Ham, Tottenham star Son Heung-min has spoken out on his Covid concern and his stance on the situation.
The Spurs forward has spoken out about having the Covid-19 vaccine and says he is double-jabbed for the sake of his team-mates and the public.
He becomes one of the highest-profile Premier League players to endorse vaccination, while saying he respects the personal decision of anti-vaxers.
“To be honest, I felt I needed it because I didn’t want to infect other players or other people if I had Covid,” the South Korea international told The Telegraph.
“I have not regretted having it and was happy to have my second vaccination. It is a personal issue and I respect any decision other people make because it is personal.
“We prefer games and the games have been positive, so it has been tough, tough moments. But we have this experience and the most important thing at the moment is not football.
“The players’ and people’s health is the most important and obviously we have to think positively, so we have time to prepare for games and the way the manager wants to prepare for the games we can understand a bit more because of the training sessions. As football players, we want to play football.”
Fair play to Son for speaking out.
It is an important issue which needs strong leadership and perhaps a uniform approach if the Premier League is to maintain its integrity while continuing with fixtures.
Clubs should be braced for a backlash from fans who are being told they cannot take up seats they have paid for without proof of double vaccination while some of the players they are supporting have the freedom of choice.
You can’t have one rule for one and one rule for another. We have seen enough of that in this country of late to last a lifetime.
Let’s hope there are no more issues in the Spurs camp or at West Ham between now and Wednesday and the game gets the green light.