West Ham United star Michail Antonio should be in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.

ExWHUemployee explains conspiracy theory over Moyes subs, suggests it isn’t true

That’s according to talkSPORT pundits Darren Bent and Trevor Sinclair.

West Ham star Antonio is one of the form strikers in the Premier League since the restart.

The powerful Hammers favourite scored eight goals at the back end of last season and already has two goals in four games this term.

Leicester City v West Ham United - Premier League
Photo by Arfa Griffiths West Ham United FC via Getty Images

Unplayable Antonio making Hammers tick

The 30-year-old put in another brilliant all-round performance as a lone striker in the 3-0 win over Leicester on Sunday.

And that has sparked calls for him to be selected for England by Southgate.

Antonio has twice been called up by England in the past.

In 2016 former Hammers boss Sam Allardyce’s included the West Ham man in his first squad for a 2018 World Cup qualification match against Slovakia. But he was an unused substitute.

In 2017 Antonio was called up again by Allardyce’s replacement Southgate for a friendly match against Germany and a qualifier against Lithuania.

England Training Session and Press Conference
Photo by Matthew Lewis Getty Images

Bent and Sinclair push for Antonio England call-up

But the West Ham striker, then playing as a winger, was forced to withdraw from the squad after picking up a hamstring injury.

Now talkSPORT pundit Bent – himself a former England striker – and West Ham legend Sinclair have led the calls for Antonio to be selected.

“All seriousness doesn’t Michail Antonio deserve to be in the England conversation?” Bent said on Twitter.

“He’s too powerful, too fast to stop and he’s different.”

Sinclair agreed and said Antonio brings something completely different to the table.

“Called it a while back D, completely different to all other striking options and at least a plan B,” Sinclair added.

Antonio has single-handedly tortured the back five of two very good teams in the last week.

Photo by Sebastian Frej MB Media Getty Images

Could West Ham star replace ‘sorry’ Abraham?

Yet the likes of Tammy Abraham are in the squad despite being way off form for Chelsea.

Abraham found himself caught up in controversy over the weekend when he attended a birthday party with over 20 people despite strict Covid-19 rules.

The Chelsea striker – who was previously linked with a move to West Ham – has apologised (The Sun). But he may find himself dropped from the squad as a result.

And that could open the door for West Ham’s new talisman Antonio.

With his history of hamstring injuries and his importance to West Ham, David Moyes may be hoping otherwise, though.

‘There are concerns’ Insider delivers update on West Ham chase for World Cup winner

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

More in International

Close