PREMIER LEAGUE Photo by ISABEL INFANTES AFP via Getty Images

West Ham chief Karren Brady slaughtered but vast numbers agree after Liverpool fallout

West Ham United vice-chairman Karren Brady enraged fans – particularly those of Liverpool – at the weekend.

Brady’s opinion on what should happen in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic caused a stir across football.

The Premier League has shut down until April 4th at the earliest. But with the virus not due to peak for another 12-14 weeks, the restart date looks highly unlikely.

That has led to a speculation over what should happen to resolve the season.

Photo by Arfa Griffiths West Ham United FC via Getty Images

Brady sparks Liverpool storm with ‘null and void’ comments

Brady wrote in The Sun that the only fair thing to do would be to make the 2019/20 campaign null and void.

That would deny Liverpool a first title for 30 years and – as cynics were quick to point out – save West Ham from potential relegation.

It would also – among a plethora of other things – deny Leeds United a long-awaited return to the top tier.

It is no exaggeration to say Brady has been savaged for her views.

Photo by Michael Regan Getty Images

Hammers chief savaged, but majority of fans agree

The Hammers CEO has been criticised, accused of opportunism and lambasted by fans of her own club and rival clubs for the comments.

But a series of polls have proved the majority of football fans agree with Brady.

Results of a Sky Sports poll were displayed on Sky Sports News and Twitter showed over 50% of fans agree the season should be null and void.

That particular poll has had nearly 320,000 votes and counting at the time of writing.

Another poll on fellow West Ham website Claret & Hugh saw 61.5% of fans agree that the season should be declared null and void with the remaining 38.5% disagreeing.

Photo by BEN STANSALL AFP via Getty Images

Reaction shows disdain for Brady

Our View: It perhaps goes to show just how widely disliked Brady is in the football fraternity that while the majority agree with her suggestion, she has still been fiercely criticised for it.

The real question is whether Brady – as a Premier League club chief – should be airing those views while others keep their counsel.

That has not stopped Brighton CEO Paul Barber having his say.

Although his comments were less inflammatory as he insisted Liverpool should still be handed the title (BBC Sport).

For West Ham fans they feel Brady’s comments lacked class at a sensitive time. And many feel she has once again dragged the club’s name through the mud.

Brady also got the backing of some big names after her “controversial” comments.

Read: West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady gets Piers Morgan backing and FA chairman agreement over controversial comments on voiding season

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment