Read the latest 2022 Qatar World Cup news here.

West Ham insider delivers verdict on post window move for ex Chelsea striker Diego Costa after John Terry comments
Photo by Naomi Baker - The FA/The FA via Getty Images

West Ham insider delivers verdict on post window move for ex Chelsea striker Diego Costa after John Terry comments

A West Ham insider has delivered his verdict on a potential post window move for ex Chelsea striker Diego Costa after John Terry comments.

Many West Ham fans are seething over the club’s lack of activity in the January transfer window.

Hammers boss David Moyes made it clear he was looking to bring a new striker to West Ham after admitting he has been trying for two years without success.

Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images

Anticipation started to build in the last week of the window as West Ham were linked with the likes of exciting young Chelsea striker Armando Broja.

It brought back memories of West Ham’s alleged summer-long pursuit of Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham. But he ended up moving to Roma instead where he has been a massive hit.

Broja remained at Southampton on loan with Chelsea yet to decide his future. And deadline day passed without any new arrivals meaning West Ham must continue to rely solely on Michail Antonio up front.

Photo by Rob Newell – CameraSport via Getty Images

That’s despite the striker’s well documented injury history. Or the fact he has been very much out of form since October. Or Moyes conceding he cannot risk playing Antonio in matches too close together.

West Ham were linked with late moves for Hugo Ekitike, Darwin Nunez and Duvan Zapata. But angry supporters have questioned why they left it so late to try and get deals done.

Since the window closed, there have been growing calls for West Ham to look at the free agent market to bolster the squad.

And many Hammers fans have been urging the club to bring former Chelsea striker Diego Costa back to the Premier League.

Photo by HEULER ANDREY/AFP via Getty Images

Costa won the league with Chelsea and was a huge fan favourite at Stamford Bridge for his committed displays.

He is 33 and currently not attached to any club so could be signed outside of the window.

The former Atletico Madrid and Chelsea hitman’s availability on a free transfer has sparked fervent discussion among West Ham fans.

And given West Ham’s disastrous efforts to sign players last month, supporters have suggested Moyes could do a lot worse than bring a champion like Costa to the London Stadium in order to plug a gaping hole.

Chelsea’s English defender John Terry gestures to Chelsea’s Brazilian-born Spanish striker Diego Costa after the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and Everton at Stamford Bridge in London on November 5, 2016. Chelsea won the game 5-0. / AFP / Glyn KIRK / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or ‘live’ services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo credit should read GLYN KIRK/AFP via Getty Images)

West Ham insider delivers verdict on post window move for ex Chelsea striker Diego Costa after John Terry comments

Moyes was linked with Costa in January last year but opted against the signing (Il Messaggero).

Former West Ham academy star and Chelsea legend John Terry commented on the Costa situation yesterday.

Terry, who grew up in a family of West Ham fans, said he cannot believe no Premier League clubs have moved for his former Chelsea teammate.

“I can’t believe Diego Costa hasn’t been signed by a Premier League club?” Terry said on Twitter.

“This man is a winner and would make any team stronger.”

West Ham fans flooded the responses to Terry’s comment saying Moyes should take the ex Hammers academy product’s advice.

Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images

But insiders Claret and Hugh have claimed Moyes will not be signing Costa, ruling out any prospect of a return to London.

“Former Chelsea front man Diego Costa’s name springs off the page when taking a look at the out of contract free agents who could be available to West Ham following the closure of the transfer window,” Claret and Hugh report.

“But the Irons will not be signing the Spaniard who has been without a club since last month following his departure from Atletico Mineiro after agreeing a six month deal with the club…

CandH has discovered that David Moyes has no interest in the striker whose reputation tends to precede him having been at the centre of several controversies.”

More West Ham news:

Report: Owner took big risk to get deal done but West Ham would not budge.

Protest group slams owners and claims Rice and duo could be forced to leave.

Hutchison makes Zapata claim that will infuriate West Ham fans.

Darwin’s theory of devolution as West Ham regress after Moyes success.