West Ham United’s ambitious hopes of signing Christian Eriksen look dead in the water.
For many Hammers fans the links to ex Spurs star Eriksen were always a stretch.
West Ham links to Eriksen were genuine if ambitious
But according to reliable West Ham insider ExWHUemployee, David Moyes had genuinely been offered the chance to sign him after a nightmare first year in Italy.
Frozen out by Inter boss Antonio Conte, ExWHUemployee claimed that West Ham had in fact been offered the chance to sign Eriksen, when speaking on the West Ham Way podcast last week (Wednesday January 6th).
Any hopes West Ham had of a stunning loan deal to bring Eriksen back to London suddenly look bleak, though.
That’s after Conte performed a dramatic U-turn over Eriksen’s future which will put paid to West Ham’s interest.
Hammers hopes dead in water as Conte performs dramatic U-turn over playmaker’s future
Back in November Conte said Hammers target Eriksen was not good enough to get in his team as a playmaker.
Then just three weeks ago Inter CEO Giuseppe Marotta confirmed Eriksen had been placed on the transfer list and WILL leave in January after a torrid 12 months at the San Siro (Sky Sports).
Now Football Italia reports that Conte has had a change of heart and wants to keep Eriksen.
“We’ve had time to work with Eriksen on a tactical level in the position of playmaker, the one currently held by Marcelo Brozovic,” Conte said on Tuesday as reported by Football Italia.
“I expect great things from him in that position.”
True to his word Conte then started Eriksen in the playmaker role and played him for the full 120 minutes of Inter’s extra-time Coppa Italia win over Fiorentina.
Moyes’s focus and funds concentrated on new striker
West Ham do need more guile. The dogged but unimaginative 1-0 victory over non-league Stockport was evidence of that last time out.
But it seems a move for Eriksen was only ever a pipedream.
Indeed West Ham have other more pressing priorities. Moyes desperately needs a new striker having sold Sebastien Haller to Ajax for £20m.
The Hammers have been linked with all and sundry since.
The excellent but half fit and injury prone Michail Antonio is now West Ham’s only senior striker.
Failure to sign a replacement for Haller could jeopordise West Ham’s best start to a season for 22 years.
So the transfer focus is understandably on securing a new forward as soon as possible.