When West Ham face Macclesfield in the EFL Cup this week, it will be only the third time ever that the two clubs have met.

The Hammers have won both previous encounters and Manuel Pellegrini is expected to make it three from three.

But do you remember the sides’ first ever meeting? We’ve taken you back to January 2002 and relived the game…


(Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Pellegrini is expected to rotate this midweek, but Glenn Roeder took a strong side to face the Silkmen 16 years ago.

David James, Trevor Sinclair, Joe Cole and Jermain Defoe all featured in a formidable lineup as the Hammers looked to avoid an FA Cup third round slip up at the hands of the side fourth bottom of the old Third Division.

Former Hammer Kevin Keen – who has since been Irons’ caretaker manager three times – was in midfield for Dave Moss’ home side.

Also of note in the home side was a future Southampton, Liverpool and England striker – Rickie Lambert.

First half

(Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Macclesfield were as lively and physical as you’d expect. The Hammers had suffered cup defeats to the likes of Newport County, Wrexham, Mansfield Town, Torquay United, Swansea City, Tranmere Rovers and Moss’ side wanted to add their name to the list.

Richard Tracey had a goal disallowed for a marginal offside call after just three minutes, before Lambert rattled James’ post. Against the run of play, Defoe put West Ham ahead right on half time.


There were signs of tiredness in Macclesfield legs as they failed to press Sebastian Schemmel with the opening period drawing to a close.

The right-back was allowed to swing in a cross and Defoe got across the front post to prod home and settle Roeder’s nerves.

Second half

(Alex Livesey/GettyImages)

That goal knocked the stuffing out of the hosts and the Hammers took control in the second half.

Sinclair and Defoe began to run riot, ably assisted by Cole. The then-England under 21 striker added his second of the game with 18 minutes remaining.

Don Hutchison rolled the ball into Defoe, who was given far too much time to pick his head up and stroke home from just outside the box.

With the game seemingly ambling towards its conclusion, John Moncur scythed down Chris Byrne. It was a yellow card tackle, but as Moncur went to pick up Byrne, he was clearly headbutted.

A melee ensued, but somehow Byrne escaped punishment for his blatant headloss. Three minutes later, Cole added a third goal.

He collected a loose ball, threw a trademark dummy which sold two players before he found the far corner of the net. A scare, some scrapping and quality goals; something similar on Wednesday would make for quite the spectacle.

Have something to tell us about this article?