Read the latest 2022 Qatar World Cup news here.

Report claims David Moyes makes formal transfer move, could cost West Ham £8.5m

Report claims David Moyes makes formal transfer move, could cost West Ham £8.5m

According to a report from Goal, West Ham boss David Moyes has made an offer for River Plate defender Gonzalo Montiel thought to be worth €7.5 million (£6.8 million).

In other news…ExWHUemployee claims £11m PL ace has told Moyes he’s keen to join West Ham

The Hammers manager absolutely must sign a new right-back this summer.

Ryan Fredericks quite simply isn’t good enough and Ben Johnson needs more sufficient competition at the London Stadium next season.

And Gonzalo Montiel is someone who has allegedly been on West Ham’s radar since January (TyC Sports).

Gonzalo Montiel (Photo by Gustavo Garello/Jam Media/Getty Images)

Goal are now claiming that the Hammers have made a move to sign the 23-year-old, making a £6.8 million offer for his services.

Montiel has an £18m release clause, according to La Pagina Millonaria. It has been suggested that River Plate could sell the Argentina international for a lot less than that price, however, due to the current financial climate.

River only own 80 per cent of the rights to Montiel (Goal), however, so the remaining 20 per cent could cost West Ham another £1.7 million, bringing the total fee closer to £8.5 million for the South American ace.

That would still represent somewhat of a bargain for the Hammers, however.


Montiel has racked up three assists in 19 league appearances for River Plate this season (Transfermarkt).

Gonzalo Montiel (Photo by Marcelo Endelli/Getty Images)

In 19 league outings, the 23-year-old has won 1.5 aerial duals on average per game. He has also averaged two tackles, 1.2 interceptions and 1.3 clearances in those matches (Who Scored).

He is a tough tackling right-back and his playing style is quintessentially South American. That makes him ideally suited to the robust nature of the frenetically-paced Premier League.

The West Ham board need to back Moyes on this one. £8.5 million would be very good business for the 23-year-old Argentine international right-back.

Let’s just hope that the Hammers boss is given the funds he needs to make it happen.