When West Ham United star Issa Diop was the subject of transfer speculation in the summer he was said to be on the verge of a place in the France squad.
Diop was linked with a £75million move to Manchester United in the summer by the likes of The Telegraph.
The report also claimed Diop was ‘close to a call-up to the France squad’.
Diop said to be ‘on verge of France squad’
So when Manchester City centre back Aymeric Laporte was given his first ever call-up by Didier Deschamps ahead of Diop it did not bode well for the West Ham star.
No sooner had Laporte been called up for the European Championship qualifiers against Albania and Andorra, than he suffered a knee injury in Saturday’s victory over Brighton.
The full extent of the injury is not yet known but is expected to keep the player out for some time.
Many West Ham fans felt the injury could open the door for Diop.
Double snub for Hammers star
But the 22-year-old has been snubbed again after France boss Deschamps elected to call up a player who has not kicked a ball since May instead.
Barcelona outcast Samuel Umtiti has been called to replace Laporte despite not having played a competitive game since May (Football Espana).
Umtiti, 25, played just 13 games for Barca last season and has been left out in the cold by Ernesto Valverde so far this season despite being fully fit.
Didier’s West Ham blind spot
It is not the first time West Ham players and fans have been left frustrated by Deschamps.
He repeatedly ignored Dimitri Payet at the start of his West Ham fairytale before finally giving in to public pressure and calling up the playmaker who went on to be a huge hit for France.
And now he is overlooking red hot striker Sebastien Haller – who has 18 goals in his last 32 league games for West Ham and Frankfurt – in favour of benchwarmer Olivier Giroud, read the full story here.